Friday, August 29, 2008

The internet simplified...

Wow, is all I can say the new Firefox add-on 'Ubiquity' is simply incredible and will surely change the way everyone accesses the internet.

Quite simply if you are using Firefox as your web browser you need to add this add-on to it. To access it all you need to do is hit 'ctr - space' and up pops the little window. With this you now use typed commands to run searches on various search engines, translate words, look up definitions, email your friends (currently only with gmail) and the ability to quickly interact with Google's street maps.

I'm supposed to be having drinks tonight at Fat Cactus in Cape Town but I don't know where it is, so all I need to do is highlight '' and hit 'ctr space' in the little pop up I'll type 'map this' and by using ajax it will inform me below my command that it is mapping 'Fat Cactus in Cape Town'.

If I leave it for a bit a little map will display that I can interact with or I can simply hit the enter button and a new tab will open with the google street map there. This map can easily then be added into your email to your friends etc.

The best thing is that its open for developers to add their own commands, can't wait to create some of my own.

My one concern was the little warning message at the end of the 'introduction to Ubiquity'. To combat this they say there'll be a 'trust network' so all I'm saying for now is just to use what comes with the package and my command line that I'll soon be releasing!

No comments:

 
Afrigator