Thursday, November 27, 2008

The future of mobile internet

The advantages of mobile internet and how its the next big thing for websites to target has been talked up for years. One of the main reasons for talking it up is the sheer numbers of people with cellphone handsets as opposed to people who just use the internet. Everyone said it was just a matter of time...

In South Africa it is said that there are some 5million internet users and that our cellphone user base is around 30million. I agree with all the figures here but I am still some what skeptical about the use of cellphones and people browsing the internet.

Matthew Buckland recently blogged about it, read here, and there were quite a few post comments regarding his article. I would like to mention 2 of them:

The first about Soccer Laduma's new mobile website and how it already has twice as many people using it than its website.

The second is a post by 'biobot' that purely stated that web surfing sucks in pure user-experience except for on an iPhone.

In terms of user-experience and mobile websites for now that doesn't quite go, unless a reader out there knows of some websites done really well (let me know). For now its going to be more text-based and very basic sites that will be easy to use and quick to load.

I know that I've often been in the shops and wanted direct access to my website, but I have not yet set up a mobile site for it yet (on my to do list)... So I think the benefits and advantages of mobile websites definitely outweigh the cons.

No comments:

 
Afrigator