Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Yahoo, Online battle in SA heats up and Stellies Wine Fest...


Last weekend I took part in my first mountain bike race with some mates, see you the right here as we cross the finish line - I just loose out to Dave, but I must admit my friend has lent me his bike and during the race the back breaks failed, I was limited to about 3 gears and the front wheel almost fell off on a downhill. So I luckily finished the race in one piece and had some good banter from Dave.

Our aim was to not let any under 10year olds finish before us as we were doing the mighty distance of 15km. Now this is deemed as the fun ride for families and younger members it is not to be approached lightly. After that we shared one or two glasses wine at the Stellies Wine Fest, what a day it was revisting past memories of jolling in Stellies as a student.

Meanwhile, aside from the weekend spent outdoors there were some other things happening in the world, namely:

A recent vote of the Yahoo shareholders initially yielded support for poor Jerry Yang and his board but after an audit was held of the results it was discovered that there was an error... Read the full story here
I feel sorry here for Yang after been one of the founders of Yahoo to be receiving all this from their shareholders, I would be pretty pissed in his position. But on the other hand if I owned 10,000 yahoo shares at just under $20 a share and I could have received $33 a share that equates to almost a gain of $130,000.


Apparently the battle of the online websites are heating up with a new job portal website and computer retailer website opening their doors so to speak. The new jobs site is jobs.co.za and the new computer retailer site is click2buyIT.co.za.
With all these job sites it must be a pain for the retailer/agency to have to go to each different site and post the job ad 4-5 times or more and pay a fair bit for that. Why don't the job portal sites get together and make one front-end that they all access, agencies only need to register their job once and presto its on all the sites. In terms of splitting the cake then thats something for the job portal sites to work out.

Keep it classy, South Africa, Keep it classy.

No comments:

 
Afrigator