Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Battle of the Web Browsers begins...

So, just a couple of hours ago Google released the first version of their internet browser, Chrome. And like many other bloggers I've just had my first attempt at using it.

A couple of posts ago I wrote about the new IE 8 (read here) and then I wrote about the new release of a great program for Firefox, Ubiquity, and then followed it up on an article regarding the renewal of the contract between Google and Firefox.

Now Google Chrome is launched... and with such great timing. The whole new Microsoft IE 8 was supposed to be about increased security, increase in loading time and tabbing. This was just after Firefox 3 had been released and was downloaded over 8million times in 24hours. I wonder what the stats will be on Chrome.

A lot of bloggers are giving their views on Chrome, I'm not going to mimick them but I'm rather going to say that I think IE 8 is going to be under a serious amount of pressure. In my mind its definitely now between Firefox and Chrome, my first like of a browser is one that quickly opens up a new tab and allows you to browse between them. The security that Google goes on about sounds good and the fact that it is going to be very open for developers is great.

Matthew Buckland mentioned the fact in his review that there aren't enough goodies with it, I say give it time let people check it out and within a week you'll start seeing the new apps coming.

2 comments:

Yzerfontein said...

Just downloaded, and I like the simple interface. Apparently it cleans up memory fragmentation well, which is very important in my life since I've started using memory hungry Vista. Also kewl that there were no problems in loading up my site.

DanBaileyUK said...

Yip that is one of the features Google makes quite a bit about in their comic outlay of Chrome.

Vista does require 2GB's of RAM to run sort of normally, hope you have that spec.

 
Afrigator