Thursday, September 4, 2008

Beware, viruses on Facebook

I've now been on Facebook for nearly 2 years and as all things with the internet, when it draws vast numbers it also draws the hackers and guys who like making viruses.

My first experience of it was using MSN's Messenger, it was earlier this year and up popped a message from one of my friends saying 'hi' and that he had some photo's of me or something. It had a link with it to view the photo's, I didn't hesitate and just clicked on the link - BAM, instantly the little bugger was downloaded onto my PC and also to make things worse all my contacts on Messenger received the same message from me.

I had to quickly try inform them and it resulted eventually in me having to format my PC - my PC became a spam machine and in one day it used 1GB of data!

So now on Facebook be wary when you get messages from your friends (like in this picture) make sure you don't click on the link.

I've found that I get random messages from some of my friends like this and they haven't sent it. Facebook generally catches it after 24hours and takes the message off, but it can't do anything if you clicked on the link.

In the last 2 weeks I've now received about 4 messages like this.

Another hats off to Facebook, apparently there little 'Gifts' you can send to a friend priced at $1 has generated $34million in annual revenue. Not too bad.

No comments:

 
Afrigator